background

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Cilantro Verde Enchiladas

Once in a while I run onto a recipe that is a definite keeper.  This bad boy is one of them.  I've made it quite a few times over the last 6 months or so and we wolf it down every time.  It came off of the internet so I thought it would be nice to share it on here too.

Cilantro Verde Enchiladas


1 bunch Cilantro
2 cups salsa verde (green enchilada sauce)
1 medium-large onion, quartered
1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced (keep some seeds if you like heat)
1 Tbsp chopped garlic (1-2 large segments)
1/4-1/2 tsp salt or to taste (this will depend on the salsa verde you use)
1 8 ounce cream cheese
10 tortillas
4-5 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (I used six pre-frozen breasts from Costco. If using fresh chicken, three or four large ones would probably be plenty.)
2 cups monteray jack cheese, shredded


Cook your chicken in the oven or crockpot with salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice, and a little olive oil to add another level of greatness to the enchiladas. Preheat your oven to 350°.  I've actually left the chicken on time bake so when I get home from work it is ready to throw together.

In a blender combine onion, salsa, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño and salt. Blend until smooth. Stir in softened cream cheese. (I honestly just throw it all in my food processor for a few minutes until it is creamy smooth. Oh and I've never used a jalapeño in it.)  Pour half of the sauce over the chicken and stir until well coated. Reserve remaining sauce to pour over the enchiladas.

Scoop about 1/2 a cup of chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up and place side by side in a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Pour reserved sauce over finished enchiladas and cover with tinfoil. Bake for about 30-35 minutes remove foil and sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 10-15 more minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments: