background

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Devin's Allergy Testing... oUCh

My poor little Devin (okay he's 10, but still my littlest) has really bad allergies. We've been switching back and forth from Claritin to Zyrtec for a few years now. This year we can't seem to win. I finally decided to take him in to a specialist to see what exactly he was allergic to and what we could do about it. They poked him with 48 different things, like grasses, mold, trees, animals, etc. He came back allergic to 36 of them. We go back in a week and they will start him on the drops. They mix up everything he is allergic to in very low doses and he puts one drop under his tongue once a day for a year and magically he won't be allergic to those things anymore. If this works right, next year no more pills every day. Oh I hope so for his sake.

Testing.
Immediately after testing.After just a minute or two. The bottom ones that are really bad are grasses. We knew that.The itching was driving him crazy. Luckily she put something on it afterwards to calm it down.This is how we left the office. The big welts were there clear until he went to bed that night.
I knew the poor boy had allergies. I just had no idea he was allergic to EVERYTHING!!! (except feathers)

5 comments:

Christie said...

We did that with Preston when he was 2, he did the same thing, allergies suck and Im afraid that most of my kids suffer but so far none as bad as PJ.
He takes singulair, clarinex, rhinocort (nose spray), patanol eye drops, & an inhaler every day for about 4-5 months out of the year.
Grasses, alfalfa, cotton, cats, & Horses are some of his worst,and they surround us! What were we thinking building here??
I hope you find a solution that works for Devin, poor kid!

Kandice said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little guy! The pictures are awesome but thats too bad he had to go through all that!

Brittney said...

Oceana feels your pain!! We did her test when the white of her eye swelled over the colored part. Crazy I hope the drops work

Patch of Heaven. said...

Oh My, is all I can say.

Defa's said...

Nathan has allergies too and I have thought about doing that...let me know how it works out.