background

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Old McDonald's Farm

All of my many animals were out and about enjoying the sunshine a few weeks ago. You can't see my duck and goose playing in the mud puddle though. My big, mean dogs were letting the chickens eat all around them while they stretched out and sunbathed. I thought it was so cute out my kitchen window. It is my very own little chicken farm. I know, I know, I am quite the chicken farmer. They are wonderful bug eaters too though. That is why I actually bought them, because of the year of the cutworms. You know those crazy little green catepillars. They were everywhere. The kids gathered a 5 gallon bucket of them out of the grass YUCK. I dumped them out on the driveway and poured gas on them and burned them. The boys also figured out that if you held the worm by one end and squeezed just right, the bug guts would shoot out the other end of the worm. That was gross!!! The worms ate my flower beds clear down to the roots, along with the grass and all the leaves off the trees. If you were quiet outside you could actually hear them munching, I SWEAR I AM NOT KIDDING. That is why I am a chicken farmer. I do need to get rid of a rooster though. Any takers? If not, Dean said that he would be happy to practice with his bow. Oh sad day.

3 comments:

Roberts said...

I'm scared to death of chickens so I guess I would take the bugs.

Christie said...

Cute lil' chicken farmer, lol

Do they poop everywhere?
My dogs would probably eat them anyway but I'd like them to eat some bugs......
Your basketball action shots are cool!
Sorry bout the bleacher butt, that's what you get when you have 3 boys who love sports.....=)

Lindsay Family said...

Just so you know... It's the goose that poops EVERYWHERE and that people are scared of. Devin use to have to take a wooden spoon outside to play so he coulc whack the goose if it chased him. It actually bit him once and drew blood. MEAN THING.